Read below for our tips and recommendations before applying. Thank you!
The Strengthen Alabama Homes program provides $10,000 in grant funds to owners of primary residences in Mobile or Baldwin Counties, Alabama. Owners must agree to retrofit or mitigate their homes to the FORTIFIED Home™ standard by either re-roofing or performing other updates or upgrades to their homes to receive the grant.
Grants awards will be the lower of:
- $10,000, or
- The cost of the work to reach FORTIFIED Home Roof or Silver levels
- In Alabama, homeowners can save up to 35% to 45% off their wind insurance premiums for FORTIFIED Roof or Silver levels.
- If the cost of work needed is above the grant award, that amount will be the responsibility of the homeowner to pay to the contractor.
There are additional funding opportunities if the amount goes over $10,000
- Talk to your local bank or credit union for financing options as well.
- There are no income limits nor income tests to qualify for the homeowner.
- Only the home must meet the requirements to be FORTIFIED.
- Homeowners must pay for a FORTIFIED Evaluation completed by an approved FORTIFIED Evaluator
This may be the only out of pocket cost for a homeowner unless the costs of the work go above the grant award.
- Homeowners must complete an application
Be prepared to submit copies of:
- Wind insurance (if a separate policy from homeowners)
- Flood insurance (if required or carried)
- Proof of income (latest Federal tax return, SSI, disability, etc.)
- Homeowners will be required to submit proof of income.
This helps to confirm proof of residency and, if a homeowner or family meet a low-income threshold, may qualify them for additional funding.
- Homeowners must have their projects bid on by three (3) approved contractors from the grant program.
- *Do not have work performed by unapproved contractors