Flooding is the most common, and often the costliest, disaster that can strike. You need to know that standard homeowners and renters insurance does not cover flooding or flood damage. This means, to ensure your home and personal belongings are protected from flood damage, you must get a separate policy for flood coverage.

Did you know, no matter your geographical location, you live in a flood zone? Ideally, you should have flood insurance regardless of your level of flood risk. If you have a mortgage and live in a high-risk flood area, then you are required to have flood insurance. Asking your insurance agent about your risk area and flood insurance policy is crucial in understanding what is protected.

You can purchase flood insurance through your agent who will calculate your premium based on factors such as:

-Year of building construction.

-Building occupancy.

-The number of floors.

-Location of its contents.

-Flood risk.

-Location of the lowest floor in relation to the Base Flood Elevation on the flood map.

-Deductible and amount of building and contents coverage. 

There is often a 30-day waiting period from the date of purchase until your policy goes into effect, so talk to your agent today!

Learn more about flooding on our Flood Insurance page. 

The Flood Smart website is currently undergoing upgrades! Check back soon for the new and improved site -www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/homeowner.jsp

Prev Next