On December 7, Lagniappe Mobile published an article highlighting cities that lead the nation in FORTIFIED(tm) construction. The article showcased the impact the construction standard is making in communities and on homeowners across the country.
Before we were approached for this article we were already researching the impact of FORTIFIED construction on community resilience. We reached out to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety for data on FORTIFIED designations from throughout the nation. Breaking down these resilient homes by city, state and designation level gave us insight into how these 3,700+ homes are impacting communities and the building industry landscape.
Here are our primary takeaways and of course, the Top 20 FORTIFIED Cities in America.
- 21 States have FORTIFIED homes. More States are coming on board as well.
- There are over 3,700 FORTIFIED homes in the nation. Over 2,600 in Alabama, nearly 550 in Mississippi. This number continues grow exponentially.
- 14 of 24 jurisdictions in Mobile and Baldwin Countiies have adopted the Coastal Code Construction Supplement which incorporates FORTIFIED Homes's code-plus recommendations into the local building codes. This makes it easier for homeowners to earn a FORTIFIED designation and reap the benefits it provides. Not to mention this makes them much more resilient to the hazards they will face.
- Unincorporated jurisdictions which havhad e adopted the Coastal Code Supplement have been successful at strengthening their housing stock as well. In fact, if we were to add unincorporated Mobile County and Baldwin County in Alabama to our top 20 cities list, they would rank numbers nine and 12 in the nation, respectfully.
- Even without a FORTIFIED designation, homes are being built, re-roofed or retrofitted to a code-plus standard in areas that have adopted the Code Supplement.
- There are more FORTIFIED Gold designated homes than any other designation.
- Mississippi leads the nation in FORTIFIED Bronze designations
- State ranks
#4 North Carolina
#5 South Carolina
|National Rank||State||City||Gold||Silver||Bronze||FFSL*||TOTAL FORTIFIED Homes|
|12||FL||Panama City Beach||0||0||0||87||87|
*FFSL - Stands for FORTIFIEDTM for Safer Living, the original FORTIFIED standard.
All designation data as of October 31, 2016