In an effort to reduce damage to commercial structures and help businesses re-open more quickly following severe weather, the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) developed FORTIFIED Commercial™, a voluntary, superior construction standard and designation program.
FORTIFIED Commercial focuses on community-based and light to moderate commercial structures such as:
- Multi-family residential/residential (when not governed by the IRC)
- Template (“cookie-cut”) stand-alone buildings
- Franchises (e.g., quick-service restaurants)
- Convenience stores/gas stations
- Pharmacies/retail stores
- Business services
- Schools/municipal buildings
- Mixed use
Excluded occupancies include high- hazard and appurtenances such as barns and sheds.
FORTIFIED Commercial designations are currently only available in Alabama. If you build with FORTIFIED Commercial standards outside of Alabama and you meet the minimum requirements of FORTIFIED Commercial, you will receive a letter of compliance from your FORTIFIED Commercial Evaluator.