Get a FORTIFIED™ Roof
Use these steps to get your FORTIFIED™ roof and the insurance discounts and stronger home that come with it.
If you do nothing else, contact a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator.
1) Contact A FORTIFIED™ Evaluator | Do this first! They’ll evaluate your home and create a Current Conditions Report. Then, once you decide to get a FORTIFIED™ roof, they’ll help create a scope of work for quotes, document the work and submit the final inspection report to IBHS engineers to make sure your roof meets FORTIFIED Home™ standards.
2) Review Your Current Conditions Report | This tells you what needs to be done to get your FORTIFIED™ roof. Once you have your Current Conditions Report, contact your Evaluator to develop a scope of work for contractor bids, or if you have any questions.
3) Get Three Bids | Yep, shop around.
1. Get proof that roofers and contractors are licensed, bonded and insured.
2. Make sure the bids include all of the requirements for the “FORTIFIED Home™ Bronze Designation” from your Current Conditions Report. If they don't, or worse, won't do it: get another quote.
3. Roofers and contractors can be very specialized. Make sure they can perform all the work needed to get your roof FORTIFIED™.
4) Choose Your Contractor | While any contractor can do the work, (as long as they strictly follow the guidelines), FORTIFIED Wise™ Professionals are certified and have gone through specialized training to understand the program.
5) Use The Right Products | Using the right products is key to FORTIFIED™. Give your contractor this link to find FORTIFIED™ qualified products. (http://disastersafety.approvalzoom.com)
6) Take Action | Let your Evaluator know you’ve decided to get a “FORTIFIED Home™ Bronze Designation” for your roof.
- The Evaluator must be involved in the process from start to finish.
- Connect your Evaluator and contractor by phone, email, text or in person.
- Your Evaluator will come out during the work and after the project is complete. The number of visits will depend on the work needed.
7) Paperwork | Thankfully, this is what the Evaluator is paid for. They document and take pictures of all the work and submit a detailed report to IBHS engineers, who review and approve FORTIFIED Home™ Designations.
8) $ave Money | Once you get your FORTIFIED Home™ Designation (a certificate), shop around for your insurance. We recommend getting three-five quotes; you may be surprised at the savings available.
- Once you decide on an insurer, give them your FORTIFIED™ Designation to start saving. Your savings will vary based on where you live and your insurer.