Proud Member of...
Members of Sea Grant, Smart Home America and Fortified Homes Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety discuss the benefits of fortified buildings in a resilient community. Fortifying homes can protect them from hurricanes and coastal storms.
Smart Home America Helping Build Safer Smarter and Stronger
Highlights of Research Center Inaugural Test Demonstrations, Fall 2010 from IBHS
WHAT DOES SMART HOME AMERICA DO?
Hosts technical trainings and provides literature for housing and insurance industry professionals, which will allow them to better assist their clients and residents with building and retrofitting to the FORTIFIED standard
Educates legislators, elected officials and county and municipal employees on the benefits of stronger, more resilient building practices to better prepare their communities for natural disasters
WHAT IS "FORTIFIED"?
- A national program to improve and strengthen homes developed by the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety.
- Utilizes a third party evaluator to inspect and gather information to achieve a program designation.
- Uses applied building science solutions that have been tested and proven
- Applies a building block approach with multiple levels of Bronze, Silver and Gold, with the roof being the most important component.
WHY IS FORTIFIED IMPORTANT?
- Savings: There are mandated insurance discounts in Alabama and Mississippi for achieving a FORTIFIED designation
- Peace of Mind: Better protect and prepare your home and family from the next severe storm
- Improved Value: Add value to your home by reducing the life-cycle costs of maintenance and insurance
HOW IS SMART HOME AMERICA FUNDED?
- Membership and sponsorship programs
- Private donations